This page is intended for members to share useful resources including journal articles, books, and others. Since numerous resources could potentially be posted under this resource list, we have focused on those that are directly related or relevant to gender. This is a living list. As a Wiki member, we hope you feel free to add or edit to the resources posted here. Key documents are in bold
Table of Contents
- An excellent selection of books on gender:
- Overall on gender analysis in agricultural development
- Okali, C. (2011). [[File:Integrating social difference Policy_Brief_039.pdf |Integrating Social Difference, Gender and Social Analysis into Agricultural Development][[File:Integrating social difference Policy_Brief_039.pdf |.] Brighton, UK.
- Livestock, gender, assets, food security and nutrition
- Sreenath, S., Watkins, A. J., Wyatt, A. J., Yearous-algozin, A., Baltenweck, I., Grace, D., … Yount, K. M. (n.d.). [[File:Dairy intensificatin gender and child nutririon in Kenya.pdf |Exploratory Assessment of the Relationship between Dairy Intensification, Gender and Child Nutrition among Smallholder Farmers in Buret and Kipkelion Districts, Kenya.] EADD Project Report.
- Mason, R., Ndlovu, P., Parkins, J. R., & Luckert, M. K. (2014). [[File:Mason et la 2014 determinants of food security in Tanzania.pdf |Determinants of food security in Tanzania: gendered dimensions of household headship and control of resources]. Agriculture and Human Values, 1–11. doi:10.1007/s10460-014-9568-5
- Kristjanson, P., Waters-bayer, A., Johnson, N., Tipilda, A., Njuki, J., Baltenweck, I., Grace, D. Macmillan, S. (2010). [[File:Kristjanson et al. 2010. Livestock and women livelihoods.pdf |Livestock and Women’s Livelihoods: A Review of the Recent Evidence.] Nairobi, Kenya.
- FAO (2011). [[File:FAO 2011 The state of food and agriculture Closing the gender gaps.pdf |The State of Food and Agriculture: Women in agriculture closing the gender gap for development]. http://www.fao.org/docrep/013/i2050e/i2050e.pdf. doi:9789251073179
- Corinne, V. (2001). [[File:Corrine Valdivia 2001 Gender livestock assets resource management and food security Lessons.pdf |Gender, livestock assets, resource management, and food security: Lessons from the SR-CRSP.]Agriculture and Human Values, 18, 27–39. doi:10.1023/a:1007613031102
- Njuki, J., & Mburu, S. (2013). [[File:Understanding-the-Gender ASSET OWNERSHIP.pdf |Gender, Livestock and Asset Ownership]. A research brief from the book “Bridging the Gender Gap: Women, Livestock Ownership and Markets in Eastern and Southern Africa.” Retrieved from https://cgspace.cgiar.org/handle/10568/27918
- Waithanji, E., Njuki, J., Mburu, S., Kariuki, J., & Njeru, F. (2015). [[File:Waithanji et al 2015 A gendered analysis of goat ownership and marketing in Meru Kenya.pdf |A gendered analysis of goat ownership and marketing in Meru, Kenya.]Development and Practice, 25(2), 188–203. doi:10.1080/09614524.2015.1002453
- Quisumbing, A. R., Rubin, D., Manfre, C., Waithanji, E., van den Bold, M., Olney, D., Johnson, N., Meinzen-Dick, R. (2015). [[File:Qiusumbing et al. 2015 Gender, assets, and market oriented agriculture learning.pdf |Gender, assets, and market-oriented agriculture: learning from high-value crop and livestock projects in Africa and Asia.]Agriculture and Human Values. doi:10.1007/s10460-015-9587-x
- Curry, J., Huss-Ashmore, R., Perry, B., & Mukhebi, A. (1996). [[File:John Curry 1996 a framework for analysis of gender ....pdf |A framework for the analysis of gender, intra-household dynamics, and livestock disease control with examples from Uasin Gishu District, Kenya.]Human Ecology, 24(2), 161–189. doi:10.1007/BF02169
- EADD project reports
- EADD (2010). [[File:EADD baseline report 1 overview_UPDATED June 2010.pdf |Survey Methodology & Overview Key Results of the Household Surveys: East Africa Dairy Development project Baseline Surveys Report 1]
- EADD (2010). [[File:EADD baseline report 7 impact indicators _UPDATED JUNE 2010.pdf |Impact Indicators: East Africa Dairy Development Project Baseline Surveys Report 7]
- EADD (2009). [[File:EADD baseline report 6 Gender.pdf |Gender, Dairy Production and Marketing: East Africa Dairy Development Project Baseline Surveys Report 6]
- EADD (2009). [[File:EADD 2009 Strategy for integrating gender in EADD project.pdf |Strategy for Integrating Gender in EADD. East Africa Dairy Development Project.] Retrieved from https://cgspace.cgiar.org/bitstream/handle/10568/1965/Gender Strategy-East Africa Dairy Development Project.pdf?sequence=2
- EADD (n.d.). [[File:EADD MTE Report.pdf |East African Dairy Development Project Mid-Term Evaluation: Regional Synthesis Report]
- EADD (2009). [[File:Annual Report 2009.pdf |Project annual progress report: January - December 2009].
- EADD (2011). [[File:Annual Report 2010.pdf |Annual progress report (January -December 2010): Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda].
- EADD (2012). [[File:Annual Report 2011.pdf |EADD Annual progress report for January - December 2011]
- Matovu, W. (2008). [[File:EADD Uganda Newsletter Issue1.pdf |East Africa Dairy Development (EADD) Project - Uganda Lauched]. EADD Uganda Newsletter. Kampala.
- Empowerment, livestock and food security
- Walingo, M. (2009). [[File:Walingo 2009 ROLE OF LIVESTOCK PROJECTS .....pdf |Role of livestock projects in empowering women smallholder farmers for sustainable food security in rural Kenya]. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 9(7), 1468–1483. doi:10.4314/ajfand.v9i7.47678
- Empowerment and nutrition
- [[File:Hazel_Empowerment indicators for Nutrition.pdf |What dimensions of women’s empowerment in agriculture matter for nutrition in Ghana?] Hazel Jean L. Malapit, Agnes R. Quisumbing, Food Policy 52 (2015) 54–63
- [[File:women's empowerment in agr what role for food security in Bangladesh.pdf |Women's empowerment in agriculture: What role for food security in Bangladesh?]
- by Esha Sraboni, Hazel J. Malapit, Agnes R. Quisumbing, Akhter U. Ahmed, World Development (2014), Volume: 61, Publisher: Elsevier Ltd, Pages: 11-52
- [[File:WEAI and children's nutrition.pdf |Women’s empowerment in agric][[File:WEAI and children's nutrition.pdf |ulture and child nutritional status in rural Nepal]
- Kenda Cunningham, George B Ploubidis, Purnima Menon, Marie Ruel, Suneetha Kadiyala, Ricardo Uauy, and Elaine Ferguson, Public Health Nutrition (2015)
- Unpacking the Links Between Women's Empowerment and Child Nutrition: Evidence Using Nationally Representative Data From Bangladeshby
- by Priya Bhagowali, Purnima Menon, Agnes R. Quisumbing, Vidhya Soundararajan, Applied Economics (2010)
- Livestock, Dairy development, and East Africa
- Balikowa, D. (2011). [[File:David Balikowa 2011 Dairy development in Uganda.pdf |Dairy development in Uganda: A Review of Uganda’s Dairy Industry]. Retrieved from http://www.fao.org/3/a-aq292e.pdf
- Kiptarus, J. K. (2005). [[File:FOCUS ON LIVESTOCK SECTOR SUPPLY POLICy.pdf |Focus on Livestock sector: Supply Policy Framework Strategies Status and Links with value Addition.] Presented at a workshop on value asses food and export investment, the Grand Regency hotel, Nairobi on 3rd march 2005. Nairobi, Kenya.
- Staal, S. J., Pratt, A. N., & Jabbar, M. (2008). [[File:Staal et al. 2008 Dairy Development for the Resource Poor Part 2 Kenya and Ethiopia Dairy Development case studies.pdf |Dairy Development for the Resource Poor Part 2: Kenya and Ethiopia Dairy Development Case Studies].Pro-Poor Livestock Policy Initiative (PPLPI) working paper No. 44-2. Retrieved from http://22.214.171.124/Link/Publications/Theme3/DairyDevForResourcePoor-2.pdf
- Kurwijila, L. R., & Bennett, A. (2011). [[File:Kurwijila and Bennette 2011 Dairy development institutions in east africa.pdf |Dairy development institutions in East Africa: Lessons learned and options]. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome.
- FAO (2011). [[File:Muriuki 2011 Dairy development in kenya.pdf |Dairy development in Kenya], by H.G. Muriuki. Rome.
- Thorpe, W., Muriuki, H. G., Omore, A., Owango, M. O., & Staal, S. (2000). [[File:Thorpe et al-2000-Dairy development in kenya past present future-APSK.pdf |Dairy development in Kenya: the past, the present and the future.] Paper prepared for the Annual Symposium of the Animal Production Society of Kenya, March 22nd -23rd, 2000, KARI Headquarters, Nairobi.
- ICPALD (2013). [[File:ICPALD 2013 The Contribution of Livestock to the Ugandan Economy.pdf |The Contribution of Livestock to the Ugandan Economy.] IGAD Center for Pastoral Areas & Livestock Development (ICPALD), Nairobi. Retrieved from http://igad.int/attachments/714_The Contribution of Livestock to the Ugandan Economy.pdf
- Gender and value chains
- Rubin, D., Manfre, C., & Barrett, K. N. (2009). [[File:Rubin et al. Promoting gender issues in agriculture value chain.pdf |Promoting gender equitable opportunities in agricultural value chains: A handbook]. Retrieved from http://www.focusintl.com/GD111- Promoting gender equitable opportunities in agricultural value chains.pdf
- Farnworth, C. R. (2011). [[File:Farnworth-EP-1-EGM-RW-Sep-2011.pdf |//Gender-Aware Value Chain Development//.] Expert Group Meeting CSW 56.
- Models and methods
- Haddad, L., Hoddinott, J., & Alderman, H. (1997). [[File:Haddad et al 1997 household resource allocation in developing countries.pdf |Intra household Resource Allocation in Developing Countries: Models, methods and policy.] The John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London.
- Gender and environment
- Jackson, C. (1998). [[File:Gender, irrigation, and environment Arguing for agency.pdf |Gender, irrigation, and environment: Arguing for agency]. Agriculture and Human Values, 5(4), 313–324. doi:10.1023/A:1007528817346
- Climate change, livestock and gender
- Climate change through a gendered lens: Examining livestock holder food security
- A video on gender and AR4D with a focus on climate change: https://youtu.be/ony2GHjYEro
- McKune SL, Borresen EC, Young AG, et al. Climate change through a gendered lens: Examining livestock holder food security. Glob Food Sec. 2015;6:1-8. doi:10.1016/j.gfs.2015.05.001.
- on differences in reporting between men and women from the same household:
- http://www.jessicabhoel.com/research/ (did a lot of research on the topic with IFPRI)
- Yoshinori Kamo (2000) “He Said, She Said”: Assessing Discrepancies in Husbands' and Wives' Reports on the Division of Household Labor. Social Science Research, Volume 29, Issue 4, Pages 459–476
Gender in agriculture: Closing the knowledge gap
Challenging chains to change: Gender equity in agricultural value chain development
World Bank Gender and Agriculture Sourcebook
Basic methods book: |Field Level Handbook, FAO 2001
File:UNWomen Full Report September 2016 Launched at HLP.pdf